Thursday, January 5, 2012

Sticky Quickies

Kids are finally back in school.  Hot coffee.  Warm puppy next to me. Quiet.

It’s wonderful.

But in the back of my head I know I should get up and go EXERCISE.

It’s so hard.  I want to eat.
Sigh.

So, in honor of not bailing on several of my 101 Goals for 2012 in just the first week of January, I just poured myself a protein shake and I will blog about one of my family’s favorite breakfast treats.  Sticky Quickies.  If I can’t eat it, I might as well dream about it.....right? 
I got this recipe from my good friend years ago.  I usually save it for company or holidays not because they are hard to make, but because they are so gooey good in your tummy, but not quite as good stuck to your behind and thighs. 

My friend noted on the recipe that “you’ll never slave over cinnamon rolls again” and that “they remind her husband of sex.”  She was right.  I have never made cinnamon rolls since and somehow the word “quickie” in a recipe is never overlooked by my husband either. 

*Note:  You will just have to deal with the pictures.  Try as I might, I cannot seem to get the full caramely, sticky, gooey, delightfulness, to present well in a photograph.  You will just have to trust me on this one.

Sticky Quickies



Ingredients:
·       1 1/2 cup flour
·        2 pkgs rapid rise yeast
·        ¾ cup milk
·        ½ cup water
·        ¼ cup margarine or butter
·        ¼ cup sugar
·        1 tsp. salt
·        1 egg
·        1 ¾ cup flour
Topping:
·        ¾ margarine
·        1 cup brown sugar
·        1 tsp. cinnamon
·        5 Tbls. White syrup
·        1 Tbls. Water
·        ¾ cup chopped nuts (optional....I don’t use them.)
Combine in a large bowl 1 ½ cup flour and yeast.  Set aside.  In a small saucepan, heat milk, water, margarine, sugar, & salt, till warm.  Pour into yeast and flour; add egg.  Beat on high speed for 3 minutes.  Stir in the remaining 1 ¾ cup flour by hand.  Dough will be sticky and look like this.  
Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.

Combine topping ingredients in saucepan.  Heat until melted.  Pour this into a 9 x 13 casserole pan.  Stir down the batter when it is finished rising & drop by large tablespoons onto topping. (Like this...about 5 or 6 rows of 4)
Bake for 15 minutes at 375 degrees.   Cool one minute, then invert onto serving tray. (I use a cookie sheet with sides.) 
I also serve with a powdered sugar/milk/drop of vanilla drizzle for those in my family who like that….EVERYONE.
So, there it is.  Make it.  You’ll love it.  I promise.  Now I am off to go on a run!  Oh wait!  No way could I end this post without the picture that my husband decided to "stage"....because he was sure he could get a better photo than I could.  Thanks Honey!  Gotta love you!








5 comments:

  1. They do look good. I need to avoid them as well. I've been a bit lax on my 101 this week and I should ignore anything the least bit yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to make these this weekend. Will they count towards my '200' goal? I might also drag something through the caramel. Ooopsie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowie these look great. I am saving them as I do like to bake, but I like quickies as well as anybody! ;-p

    You asked about the quilt in my blog post: it is from Belk, a Southern dept store chain. I am not sure of the label, but if you need it, just ask and I will see if it is still on there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My family would go crazy for these. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm following your soup on Pinterest. Blessings, cindy

    ReplyDelete