Sunday, October 31, 2010

Sticky Bons!

Once upon a time far far away in Japan, there was a little family who had just survived a typhoon.  Okay, the typhoon really wasn’t that bad…..but it is cool to say that they were in one, right?  The little family was my little family and on a cold and rainy Sunday morning they were begging for caramel rolls.  I do have a very good recipe for caramel rolls but they entail more exertion than I am willing to give before 6am, and I was missing yeast and Karo syrup.   A better mother may have just driven to Cinnabon, but I have a blog to write you know!  So, armed with cinnamon, butter, sugar, and a tube of Pillsbury pizza dough I began to improvise!
Sticky Bons
Ingredients:
·        Tube of refrigerated pizza dough
·        2 tsp butter or margarine
·        2 Tbsp sugar
·        ½ tsp cinnamon
Ingredients for caramel sauce:
·        ¾ cup butter or margarine
·        1 cup brown sugar
·        1 tsp cinnamon
·        3 Tbsp Karo syrup
·        1 Tbsp water
Pop open your pizza dough and press onto a cookie sheet or floured surface.  I used the cookie sheet just to help get a nice shape.  Melt butter and brush on flattened crust.  Then sprinkle on the cinnamon and sugar mixture.  (I won’t tell if you make a little extra to sprinkle on….I did.)  It should look like the picture below.
Roll the sugared dough into a weenie now and cut into 8 sections.
Now it is time to make the sticky!  Heat the butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, Karo syrup*(blog info. below), and water until melted.  Put one tablespoon of caramel goodness into 8 sections of a muffin tin and one cut roll on top of that. 
 Heat the rolls for 11 to 13 minutes at 425oF or until tops are brown.  While you are waiting, line a cookie sheet with foil and coat the center with extra caramel sauce.  Take the rolls out of the oven and flip on to caramely cookie sheet.  Serve as is or whip up a drizzly icing out of powdered sugar, a little milk, and a drop of pure vanilla.

WARNING!  This is not enough to serve a family of 5 because someone (mom) only gets one.  You are going to have to make some scrambled eggs to go with it. Sorry!
*While I was making the caramel sauce I noticed that I didn’t have any Karo syrup.  I quick googled a recipe for homemade Karo syrup and found this recipe and this blog……Simple Living at Home .   Not only does she have some great ideas but a lot of neat suggestions on marriage and prayer.  It was just the little boost I needed this Sunday morning before church!

No comments:

Post a Comment